Having a positive attitude is essential; I can say this because we just finished moving into a new home, and the last few weeks have been super stressful. But because I’ve maintained a positive outlook through this experience, it has made things much easier to handle.
A positive attitude makes life easier because it helps us live in harmony with our nature. When times are tough, it gives us the motivation to push on through. When we are optimistic about what we are doing, it is clear to others, and so they are encouraged to gain confidence to live positively too.
You might not be moving or doing something big right now in your life, but even with the ups and downs of a regular day, it is always more peaceful if you have a positive outlook on life.
If you are curious about why a positive attitude is necessary, keep reading as I will share some reasons why.
Significant events in life are made better with a positive attitude.
The last few weeks of my life have been crazy; it all started when our real estate agent showed us some pictures of a house. We made a plan to see it on a Friday morning, we were the first to see the house, and we were impressed, so we decided to make an offer. Things were moving fast.
We had plans to go camping on Saturday, so we looked at some numbers and told our agent what we were comfortable offering. While on the campground, we got a phone call and had to sign some forms with our phones. That night, we got another call; despite all odds, we got the house, and we were all surprised. On top of this, the closing was soon, just one week later.
All week we had to travel to the bank and the lawyer and everywhere else. We signed the paperwork and gave our money; less than a week later, we were sent a code to unlock the door. My wife and I both took a day off and painted the house.
We spent the weekend there setting things up and moved in on Tuesday. A mere eight days after seeing the house for the first time.
Now it is Monday night, less than a week after moving in, and I can say that my workspace is finally set up. A lot has happened in the last three weeks, way more than the previous year and a half. When I was unpacking some boxes, I found a note to myself with three goals, two of them have been accomplished, we are in a quiet neighbourhood, and my daughter gets to go to a good school.
I will not share the third goal, but I have a positive attitude and believe I’m headed in the right direction. You could look back at the last few weeks and see stress and difficulty, or you can see opportunity and positive change. For myself, this has been a unique, life-changing experience that has brought my family and me to a better place, and for that, I am incredibly thankful.
Living with a positive attitude makes life better, and while sometimes our determination can wain or times can get tough, if we have faith in the possibility of good outcomes, they are more likely to happen.
You could argue, “what’s the difference? Won’t it be the same regardless?” And while that may be true, if you can choose to have a better perspective at the end of the day, then why not?
A positive attitude in life is essential.
Some people may suggest that much of what happens in our lives is out of our control, I can’t say for sure if that is what I believe, but I can say that my whole moving process felt like fate. Rather than me pushing through and directing things, it felt like I was going with the flow, and things were progressing the way they were supposed to.
In a previous article, we talked about how we should take ownership of our emotions. The idea was that we can’t always control what other people do, but we can control how we feel about what is happening. I’d suggest that same approach to much of life; every day, there are tons of things that happen that we have no control over.
Rather than getting upset or angry about it, we can instead focus on what we can control rather than getting boggled down by what we can’t.
And as I’ve said before, it is sometimes difficult to accept what is happening, as we typically want things to be our way. But the problem is that we don’t always have that power. Also, I’m not suggesting that you go through life miserably, accepting everything and not trying to change or improve what you can. Instead, realize the difference between what is changeable and what is not.
But then it comes back to attitude; how you look at things, regardless of what they are, will affect how you feel about them at the end of the day. Having a positive attitude will often make things easier; you might not always get what you want, but something is coming out of the situation, and what matters most is how you respond to it.
Is it a positive event or a negative one? The choice is mostly yours.
Having a positive attitude helps you see past the bad and instead focus on the opportunities created. As I mentioned in my story about buying a house, that could have been a hugely stressful situation, but rather, I tried my hardest to keep positive and see it in the best possible light.
Often, the only thing that we can control is our attitude, so it is best to have a positive attitude as that will create the best outcome for us.
Our attitude helps us in many other ways too.
Having a positive outlook on life is important because it has so many benefits to our day-to-day lives. I can say that when I was more pessimistic about life, it was easy to stay that way because all the evidence supported that conclusion. But since I’ve shifted my perspective, it seems that the proof can equally be valid for the opposite conclusion.
- Positive People are More Healthy – There is lots of scientific evidence to support the claim that optimistic people are more healthy. Having a purpose in life or a goal to work towards often leads to longer lives and decreased health complications.
- A Positive Attitude Helps You Through Difficult Times – We all go through difficult times; having a positive attitude helps us see trials and tribulations as learning experiences or opportunities. Having a positive outlook makes it easier to see the light at the end of the tunnel during any struggle.
- Positive People Are More Productive – I remember in the past when I had a bad outlook on life, I would spend a lot of time dwelling on what wasn’t working out or what was wrong. Now that I focus on positive outcomes, I always know what I need to do next, so there aren’t wasted gaps in time.
- It is Easier to Socialize With a Positive Attitude – Getting along with other people is hard enough, but having a positive outlook on what can come out of the situation will make things much more manageable. Focusing on the possibility that you won’t get along or that there will be conflict only make things more difficult. So repeat the mantra “best possible outcome.”
- Positive People Have More Self-Esteem – How we feel about ourselves comes from our attitude about the situations we find ourselves in. If you focus on the positive, you will feel better about yourself and your abilities, which will translate into better outcomes. Feedback loops can work to your advantage.
- People With a Positive Attitude Have More Motivation – Having clearly defined goals leads to happiness and motivating factors. Having a positive attitude about what you are trying to accomplish makes it easier to do what you are trying to do, resulting in greater motivation for getting those things done.
- A Positive Attitude is Contagious – Your outlook on life is clear to the people around you, so if you are optimistic about things, people will see that, and your attitude will spread. There is a saying that “we are the average of the five people we spend the most time with,” so if you are positive, you will be positively affecting the people around you.
- A Positive Attitude Helps You Turn Failures into Success – In the past, I have tried out so many different business ideas, and some of them worked a little while others didn’t. But even though they mostly failed, they have all been learning experiences that make me better prepared for what I am facing right now. Every time we fail, we have an opportunity to feel regret or growth and learning.
- Having a Positive Attitude Makes You Higher Energy – When I used to have a negative attitude, it was easy to waste a whole weekend on the couch playing video games. Now that I have a more positive attitude, I couldn’t get away with that as I have so much more energy and a need to be productive. Positivity is a higher energy level than negativity, and if you’ve felt both emotions, you know the difference.
- Your Attitude Today Influences Your Attitude Tomorrow – How you feel about your situation today has a significant effect on how you will feel tomorrow. You can’t be angry and pissed off today and expect to be happy tomorrow without making any changes. So focus on positivity today, and it will be easier to be positive tomorrow and the day after that.
A positive attitude in life is essential because it makes a difference when we find ourselves in difficult situations.
Most events or conditions are neutral, so how they appear to us is up to us. At the same time, instead of getting caught up in what we can’t control, we should focus on how we see the situation and what we can do to improve it.
In the end, it is always a choice, so it is better to choose the more favourable outcome rather than the bad.